Recently, we are seeing the Event ID 474 and Event ID 705 errors in our Event Logs.
Event ID 474 – an error (checksum error) on our Exchange database
Event ID 705 – online maintance issue from event 474
Searching through the web, we found several ways in fixing this. One, is to restore the database from a good backup and replay the transaction logs. Two, take the database offline and use the eseutil tool to scan / fix the database. Third, create a new storage group and move all mailboxes into the new storage group.
Since we have plenty of SAN storages, we went with the third option and moved all our users’ mailboxes out to a new storage group.