Can’t Remove Additional Mailbox From Outlook

Today, we have experienced a strange problem.  Recently, we have helped and added an additional mailbox to an user’s Outlook.  This user wanted to view all the emails from an ex employee’s mailbox.  To do this, we went through the following steps of giving permission and of adding the mailbox to the user’s Outlook.

1. Granting permissions

– First, log into Exchange Management Console.  We are using Exchange 2010.

– Once loaded, go into the “Recipient Configuration” section and expand it.  You will see the “Mailbox” selection.  Click on it.

– On the right side of the screen, search for the ex employee’s mailbox account that you want to give permission to.   Right-click on it and select the “Manage Full Access Permission…” option.

– This will bring up the “Manage Full Access Permission” wizard, enter in the user’s name that are going to have full rights access.

– Once done, click on the “Manage” button to complete the wizard.

2. Adding Additional Mailbox to Outlook.

– From the user’s computer that are going to have access, open and launch Outlook.  We are using Outlook 2007.

– Click on the “Tools” menu and then select ” Account Settings”

– In the “Account Settings” page, find the “Change…” icon (located in the middle) and click on it.

– Now, in the next page, look for the “More Settings…” button and click on it

– Once the “More Settings” window pops up, click on then “Advanced” tab

– To add or remove additional mailboxes, click on the “Add” or “remove” button.

– Click on “Apply” and “Ok” to exit out

We followed the above steps of granting additional mailbox access in Outlook and was able to give mailbox access.  The problem is when we have to remove these additional mailboxes.  Previously, with Exchange 2003 and with Outlook 2007, we just have to reverse the above steps and we were able to remove any additional mailbox from Outlook.  But, with Exchange 2010 and Outlook 2007, this method is not working.  Even though, we removed these additional mailbox from Outlook, their names are still showing in Outlook.

Doing some searching around, mainly Google, we saw some solutions.  It looks like in addition to removing the mailbox from Outlook, we have to remove the user’s permission too.  Once we did that, it worked.

 

 

 

 

Leave a comment